Posts

Kai Tak site accident being probed

Image
The Government expressed that it is highly concerned about an accident involving the collapse of a bamboo scaffold at a Kai Tak construction site today in which two workers were killed and three others injured.   A preliminarily investigation by the Buildings Department (BD) found that the scaffold, measuring about 15m by 8m, fell to the ground from the external wall on the 19th floor of a building under construction.   The BD said it will conduct a comprehensive investigation into the cause of the incident, including whether the scaffold, as temporary works, complied with the Buildings Ordinance and whether the registered contractor and any related persons have properly discharged their responsibilities.   It added that if anyone is found in contravention of the ordinance, it will take follow-up actions, including instigating prosecution and referring to the Contractors Disciplinary Board for disciplinary proceedings.   The Labour Department (LD) also launched an immed

HK taxation regime recognised

Image
The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government today welcomed the removal of Hong Kong from the European Union's (EU) watchlist on tax co-operation in recognition of the city’s efforts in ensuring that its foreign-sourced income exemption (FSIE) regime is in full compliance with the EU’s relevant requirements.   Secretary for Financial Services & the Treasury Christopher Hui said: “We are pleased to note that the EU has recognised our efforts in this regard and removed Hong Kong from the watchlist. Hong Kong will continue to comply with international tax standards while maintaining tax competitiveness.”   In response to the EU’s inclusion of Hong Kong in its watchlist in 2021, the Hong Kong SAR Government introduced in January 2023 a new FSIE regime, under which multinational enterprise entities receiving foreign-sourced dividend, interest, income derived from the use of intellectual properties and disposal gain in relation to shares or equity interests in Hong

CE: Views are in favour of Article 23

Image
(To watch the full media session with sign language interpretation, click here.)   The consultation exercise for the Basic Law Article 23 legislation has already garnered many opinions, with the majority of the views expressed supporting its enactment, Chief Executive John Lee said today.   The Basic Law Article 23 legislation consultation launched by the Government will end on February 28 and Mr Lee was asked about its progress by reporters before he attended the Executive Council meeting this morning.   “We have been receiving a lot of opinions,” he said. “The majority of them support Article 23 enactment.   “We also believe that because of what we went through in 2019 in the attempted colour revolution, the awareness has been very strong.”   The Chief Executive added that the consultation results will be presented to the Legislative Council.   “The general opinions give me the impression that they are in support (of) the overall goal of enacting Article 23 to

Govt subsidises exhibitors

Image
(To watch the full press conference with sign language interpretation, click here.)   Secretary for Commerce & Economic Development Algernon Yau said today that the Government expects the convention and exhibition industry to achieve or surpass pre-pandemic levels given that certain large-scale events have already returned to Hong Kong.   Mr Yau pointed out during a press conference this afternoon that throughout the second half of last year, 61 exhibitions were held in the city, 54 of which had been approved for a total of HK$265 million in government subsidies.   Apart from emphasising that the exhibitions had attracted some 80,000 exhibitors, including 30,000 from local organisations and 50,000 from overseas, he explained that they also attracted over 1.2 million visitors.   Mr Yau added that approval will be given for more exhibitions to be held in the city and the number of people visiting Hong Kong will increase accordingly.   He highlighted the Government

Yuen Long project construction starts

Image
Construction of the first Light Public Housing (LPH) project at Yau Pok Road in Yuen Long, officially started today.   The Yau Pok Road project will provide about 2,100 LPH units, with intake expected to begin in the first quarter of 2025. Application arrangements will be announced in the second quarter of this year.   Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong, Secretary for Housing Winnie Ho and Secretary for Labour & Welfare Chris Sun officiated at the groundbreaking ceremony this afternoon.   Mr Wong thanked the Legislative Council, the local community and Sun Hung Kai Properties which lent the Yau Pok Road site for free, for supporting the project, adding that their assistance as well as the hard work of the construction team and government staff, gave hope to the public, especially families living in subdivided units and waiting for public rental housing.   Before the ceremony, Mr Wong and Ms Ho visited a mock-up LPH unit, received a progress briefing by Director

Voucher scheme extended to GBA

Image
The Government today announced that seven medical institutions in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (GBA) have been included in the Elderly Health Care Voucher Greater Bay Area Pilot Scheme.   Five of these medical institutions provide integrated services including dental services, while the other two are dental institutions.   The physical location of the medical institutions was one of the eight key factors the Government took into account when considering them for the pilot scheme.   Speaking at a press conference this morning, Secretary for Health Prof Lo Chung-mau said the pilot scheme aims to give seniors who have retired to or are living in the GBA easier access to healthcare facilities and make sure they can use the Elderly Health Care Voucher in their new place of residence.   Some of the selected medical institutions are in Shenzhen, including the two dental institutions.   “Some of the elderly living in Hong Kong may also choose to travel to

HKO to open to the public

Image
The Hong Kong Observatory will hold open days on March 23 and 24 to showcase its work.   Adopting the theme of this year's World Meteorological Day, “At the frontline of climate action”, the exhibitions at the event will feature how the Observatory applies the latest technology to provide various services including weather forecasting, aviation weather services, microclimate monitoring and radiation monitoring.   Online pre-registration is required. Each applicant may request a maximum of four tickets free of charge. If there is oversubscription, selection will be made by computer balloting.   The online registration system will accept applications from today to noon on March 1. Successful applicants will receive tickets with a QR code via email on or before March 12. Click here for details. http://dlvr.it/T2xKwz